Monday, September 7, 2015

Week 26 in Porvenir

Week #88
9/7/15
Well, we got the call last night, and my pleasant stay in the eastern plains of Colombia has ended. Tomorrow I will be transferred to Ibague, still outside of Bogotá, so Im really excited about that. I really saw the Lords hand in these transfers, I know that they were inspired. Ill be going to the Campiña branch, where one of my former companions started his mission. Im really excited to go to a new area, and meet new challenges. I have learned so much here, like how to really help people progress, and how to work hard and efficiently. Im grateful the Lord has sent me here, and has taught me so much. 

This week was tough. Every day we had good plans. New people to visit, members to come out with us, meaningful lessons, baptismal dates to place. I think almost every day, our plans fell through, maybe we had daily 2 of the lessons we planned. It was really discouraging. What we did was just try not to lose time, and tract when we hadnt anything else to do. We tracted for about 3 hours on Thursday, and nothing worked out, and then another 2 or 3 on Saturday with the same results. We were far away from our goal for new investigators for the week, and we only had Sunday left. Sunday was a great day, we called a contact we made like 5 weeks ago, and got to teach his family for the first time, and found more people tracting, and met our goal. Its was a really cool experience. I learned that when we try to do the Lords will, and give all that we have got to do so, he gets us there. I know that he blessed us when we worked hard, and dedicated ourselves to fulfilling our goals. 

This week nobody came to church because it rained all morning sunday. When it rains here people dont do anything, or at least it seems to be an acceptable excuse not to come to church for the people here. I dont understand it very much. That was a bummer, but I know there are good people here, who Elder Chaves and his new companion will be able to help out. 

This week we also had some really good lessons with the recent converts in our area. The lessons werent with our converts, but converts from other missionaries, who have been struggling recently. One family has really been a challenge for us, and I often had wondered why they dont come to church. It just seemed like they didnt care about anything anymore. In the lesson I decided to be really direct with the brother, and ask what was wrong, and what was going on. He told us he felt bad going to church and not being able to pay his tithing. Hes a taxi driver, and has to pay a high quote each day. We helped him plan to set apart his tithing daily, and to see that the Lord would bless him if he did so, that his economical situation would actually improve. I felt really good after that lesson, because for about 3 months weve not known how to help them. 

Thats about it for each week. I knwo that God loves us, and will always help us to change and improve. I know that the atonement of Christ is truly infinite. I know the Book of Mormon to be the word of God, and that God can speak to us through it. 

Thanks for reading!

pictures:
when lunch fall through, we order chinese, and a giant moth

No comments:

Post a Comment