Monday, May 26, 2014

Week 17 in Manzanares!

Week # 22
5-26-14
This week went well. We did a TON of contacting. I found that as I contacted, I learned better how to connect with people and break the language barrier. It was actually really fun contacting this week, but most of the people we talked with werent super interested. We have about 15 names that we are going to follow up with this week, hopefully we will be able to find some new investigators. Our zone has a goal to contact 10 people daily in each companionship, so we are striving to complete that goal. 
News with Carolina Herrera- if you remember last week, I told about Carolina, who is ready to be baptized, and to have her baby. Well she decided on Thursday to drink some oil that is supposed to make you have your baby faster, because she was impatient. So, on Friday night she went to the hospital and got stuck there with exams until Saturday, so she couldnt make it to the baptismal service. We have stake conference this weekend, so it looks like she is going to have to wait 2 weeks. We arent really sure what has happened more, because she never answers her cell phone. But things are going well with her generally, and I am happy.
So there is a member here who works for some bakery and sells bread. She has figured out when we meet all together as a zone, and when we will have money, so she comes to the chapel to sell us bread. The worst part is that it isnt very good, and its expensive. Plus, its super hard to say no, because she wont let you say no. We always have to plan how we are going to escape her. 
Another funny cultural thing here, when people say they will do something in 1 week, they say ´in 8 days´, which is just so wrong. There are 7 days in a week. I have no idea why they say in 8 days. It bugs me. 
Last night Colombia had their presidential elections, so we had to be inside at 5 pm. It was nice to relax, this week has been trying. 
This morning we helped a member here put the second floor on her house. It was just about the same as last time, and nice to do some work. 
This week we also had interviews with the president. It was really nice that he asked me a lot how my family is doing. I talked with him about my plans to work harder and be more focused, and he was able to help me better my plans. 
We have exchanges next week, getting anxious. It seems that its my turn to leave Neiva, but I really dont want to! 
Last night in our last visit we followed up with the Gomez family. We had contacted them a week ago, and they seem really excited to investigate our church. It is great to see the Lord is trusting us, and I know he had people everywhere waiting to hear his word.
Well, thanks for reading. I am so honored to be a missionary. It really is the greatest thing I can be doing with my life, and I am very happy.
Elder Beck
pictures: a typical breakfast, and our district



No comments:

Post a Comment