Monday, March 30, 2015

Week 3 in Porvenir

Week #65
3/30/15
This week there isn't as much news as last week. Overall, the week was pretty normal. One cool thing we began was taking the ward directory (all the members of our branch) and looking for the people we don't know. The ward directory has about 400 people, and our attendance at sacrament meeting is around 100 each week, so we have a lot of people to rescue, so that gives us work. 

It has been really hard to work out this week, and do anything in the morning. I don't know if its because Ive been a little sick, or if its just because we spend so much energy riding around all day, but I spent a good part of this week really tired. Nevertheless, I'm really happy.  Normally for my exercise time I do push ups and some variation of a push up, crunches or another abdominal exercise, and jump rope. I switch up reps and series to not get bored. Here we eat the same as always for lunch with the members, rice with beans, or lentils and rice, or rice and noodles; always with some type of meat or a fried egg, and usually with fried plantain. We drink juice they make at home, blending and straining a fruit with water. 


I feel I learned a lot this week about how the Spirit works and guides me, and that by small, miniscule disobedience's, he will lose trust with me and distance himself until I repent. It has really motivated me to become more obedient and pure to have His guidance, because I know I am nothing alone. I learned that this Sunday. While my companion and I were greeting people just before sacrament meeting, our branch president told me I would be speaking. What? He told me he had forgotten. I just smiled and said okay. I was a little nervous, but I knew I would get through it. I felt okay in the talk, but I felt a lot like Enoch of Moses when God called them, I just saw that I alone am really weak, and that I need the Lords help. I guess that's what I get for praying for help to be more humble. 

So we had a great lesson with Javier, one of our investigators. His wife is a less active member, and we were reading from 2 Nephi 2 with them. He stopped in the middle of the reading and said, so the fall of Adam and eve is like the beginning of the plan, and the atonement is like the resolution. Like through Christ those consequences of the fall are settled. I was a little stunned how well he had understood the plan of salvation, such understanding I didn't find until a couple months ago. The Spirit really works with people who want to know, and seek the truth. I know the Spirit can guide each one of us, because God loves us. 

So this week we got our door fixed, and our house is taking baby steps to getting back to normal. We cleaned up today again, so the house smells good. We have to rent a washing machine now, because the owner took away the washing machine. We rent it for about 4 dollars for 24 hours, which isn't too bad. The only thing that isn't too great about the house is that there isn't much ventilation, and in this hot and humid climate, its tough. 

Oh, so on Thursday before lunch I got a small hole in my tire fixed, and then in the night we were sitting at a stoplight, and my tire exploded. It sounded kind of like a bullet and everyone around us got scared. I felt myself depress a little bit, and knew. The nice thing was that we were with a member, and there was a bike shop across the street. I didn't have any money, so the member kind of saved me there. It was funny, and although I didn't notice, my companion says a guy on the street let out a shriek when it exploded. But, my bike is all better now. 

This week was tough, we didn't get to have the lessons we wanted, and only one person came to church. When we went back to visit Norberto he told us he didn't want to listen anymore. He mentioned that he had talked to a friend about our visit, so we think that's why he didn't want to keep going. But, I guess its like in Matthew 11 when Christ returned to the cities where he had performed many miracles, but the people still hadn't repented. I feel good though, because I know we are doing a good work, and that I am doing my best, and improving. I'm working right now on my Christlike attributes, and the mission has really helped us to make, direct and effective plans to achieve our goals. 

I know the Book of Mormon is true, and that God provides for us when we seek him out. I know the sacrifice of Christ is infinite, and that through it we can change our lives, that weak things can become strong. I know that the temple is the house of God, and that he wants to make covenants with each one of us.

Elder Beck

Just one foto this week, me and a choco-cono. When the guys on their bikes pass by selling them, their recording says they're nutritive, so I thought I would buy one.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment