Monday, September 29, 2014

Week 17 in La Candelaria

Week #40
9/29/14
So I have a ton to write this week. Ive been writing more in my journal each week, so I not have a lot more i remember. 
Last Monday after we went out to work, we were waiting outside Zully´s house for a member to show up, and two cops drove by on their motorcycle, they looked at us funny and drove on. A minute later they were pulling up to us and asked us what we did for work. We told them we were missionaries, and that we were waiting for someone, so they decided to pat us down. So that was fun. 
This week went well generally. It had its challenges, but we've also found new people to teach, less actives and new investigators. 
The high point for me was when I called Hugo Torres, and he told me his wife and daughters were getting baptized on Saturday! It was so great to hear, and I cant wait for them to send me the photos. 
On Thursday we had a baptismal interview in Colinas, which is far away, so we took a taxi. When I was getting out of the taxi, I realized our phone fell out of my pocket. I was bothered, but we went to the interview and everything went well. We then called the sister in the offices to report we had lost our phone. Just after, the guy who found our phone picked up, and we planned to meet him. We got permission to leave our zone, and took off to Molinos. We spent an hour and a half getting there, and we had planned to call our phone when we got to a general location. When we got to the bus stop, we tried calling our phone, but the sister had already cut the service. I felt totally defeated. All I wanted to do was just go home. We ended up going back to our area and had a lesson, which cheered me up. Working feels good. 
Friday we had a training with President Lozano. He talked to us about charity and love, teaching the restoration, and how we study, plan, and teach. I really enjoyed the training, and feel motivated to get better. 
On Saturday we had 7 lesson, which was the most I´ve had in 1 day! That ws really cool, and we got home beat that night. That day we visited Damaris and Pedro for the first time, who we contacted last Sunday in the street. They are married, and Damaris was telling us about how she wanted to learn about what happens to us after we die. We began explaining, but she didn't want to listen. She kept asking us for bible references, which I didn't have on hand. I did a good study this morning and have a lot of scriptures for her, but don't really know if we should try to convince her. I know we could, but I don't think that will really help her to be converted. So well see what happens. We also met Maria, a reference from a member, and she told us about how she has been going through a lot of hard situations, and I could see she really needs the gospel in her life. It was a great experience sharing with her. 
On Sunday after church, we had a meeting in the stake center with an area 70, and he talked to us about retention and our ward councils. He told us of the 1,300,000 members in the area, only 220,000 are active. We have a lot of work to do. I saw Elder Macias and Elder Bittner there, which rocked! We took a photo with Elder Macias and the 5 missionaries hes trained. (photo attached below). Elder Russel, his current companion told me he read my blog before he came out on the mission, which was super weird, but cool as well. 
In my studies of the plan of salvation this week, I think I have really come to realize the nothingness of man, that we are totally lost without Christ, and it gives me a new reason to teach. I know that God´s plan is perfect, and is we live the gospel, we can find happiness in our lives. 
I haven't been able to write half of what I wanted to. Time is short, but thanks for reading!
Elder Beck






3 Nephi 27:19, DC20:22, 2 Nephi 9:6-7, 3 Nephi 2:4-5, 3 Nephi 27:10, Mormon 9:13,21 , Ether 3:16

No comments:

Post a Comment